Old 03-05-2006, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Default my paph malipoense is in spike again!

Joe T,

Your post confuses me a bit, since if I understand you correctly you put the
catts in a high light location only when they are in bloom(?). In general, I
would say that a catt should be in high light all year round, with the
possible exception of when it is in bloom and you want to have it on display
then you could move it to a place that is less optimal from the orchid's
point of view but better for you.

I tend to leave the orchids near the window most of the time even when they
are in bloom, and just occasionally take them to put them on a table as
decoration for a brief amount of time (usually just for an evening during
dinner time, although even a few days without light would not be a problem).
If I took them away from the light for the entire time that they are in
bloom that would be a problem for the Phals that are in bloom for several
months -- several months without light would be a really bad idea. Even a
catt, while it is in bloom much shorter than a Phal, it is still in bloom
too long to deprive it of light for the entire duration, and catts require
more light than Phals or Paphs.

Joanna

"jtill" wrote in message
ups.com...
That and other orchids. Do you bring them and sit them on a coffee
table or in a window to enjoy them or leave them at their blooming
site? Just getting ready should I ever get one ready to bloom ;-)). I
have had two CATTS bloom and those I put into my kitchen sink which has
an East window till they bloomed out. I don't wash many dishes anyway!
Joe T