Old 04-05-2006, 03:22 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Ether Jones

Default Honeysuckle

I have about two hundred honeysuckle bushes in my field. Left alone,
they grow in a very helter-skelter fashion; not at all attractive.

After experimenting a bit, I found that I could prune some of the
larger ones to look like small trees and they are quite attractive.
For example, I started with one very large and raggety-looking one and
pruned around the base to get at the trunk. I cut away everything
except three big trunks which were joined together at the base to form
one central trunk about six inches in diameter. Then I pruned all the
lower branches up to about 6 feet above the ground, leaving a large
canopy above that point. The bark of the Honeysuckle is attractive,
when the branches are cleared of spindly old growth. These plants seem
to be very robust and disease-free. The smaller ones are easy to
transplant.