Old 28-04-2006, 06:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Sarah Meagher

Default Honeysuckle

Hi
I am new, but I live in Northern VA and was wondering how hard is it to
grow honeysuckle. I think I have a dying plant in my front yard and I would
like to replace it with Honeysuckle. I was orginally thinking roses, but I
have been told that they are hard to grow so I changed my mind and thought
about honeysuckle.
Sarah

Old 29-04-2006, 04:08 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
- Tom -

"Sarah Meagher" wrote in message
Hi
I am new, but I live in Northern VA and was wondering how hard is it to
grow honeysuckle. I think I have a dying plant in my front yard and I
would like to replace it with Honeysuckle. I was orginally thinking roses,
but I have been told that they are hard to grow so I changed my mind and
thought about honeysuckle.
Sarah

Sarah, I'm in NW PA and my honeysuckle grows without any help from me. I
transplanted some from the shade of a maple tree to a sunny area and let
them twine around some tomato cages to give them some support. They now grow
on top of themselves and they look like shrubs. I've even had to use the
hedge shears to remove excess growth to maintain a reasonable size. I moved
them about ten years ago and they've grown well since then.
The thing about honeysuckle is that they seem to thrive with something
to climb on. Don't put it near something that you don't want it to climb on
unless you want to and are able to keep it in check.

Tom

Old 29-04-2006, 12:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mack

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:17:28 -0400, "Sarah Meagher"
wrote:

Hi
I am new, but I live in Northern VA and was wondering how hard is it to
grow honeysuckle. I think I have a dying plant in my front yard and I would
like to replace it with Honeysuckle. I was orginally thinking roses, but I
have been told that they are hard to grow so I changed my mind and thought
about honeysuckle.
Sarah

Note Tom's comments. Just be sure to realize that honeysuckle is a
vine only as far as I'm aware. It's not a bush or shrub. I'm in NC and
mine grows fine with no care other than to keep it pruned a bit at
times. I've got mine climbing up & across a split rail/wire mesh fence
in back.

Terry
Old 29-04-2006, 01:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Ralph Mowery

Hi
I am new, but I live in Northern VA and was wondering how hard is it to
grow honeysuckle. I think I have a dying plant in my front yard and I

would
like to replace it with Honeysuckle. I was orginally thinking roses, but I
have been told that they are hard to grow so I changed my mind and thought
about honeysuckle.
Sarah

I am in central NC and have a fence that seperates my yard from some woods.
I can hardly control that weed with roundup. It seems to be a vine and
likes to grow up things.
It should be easy to grow.

Old 29-04-2006, 02:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly

wrote:

Hi
I am new, but I live in Northern VA and was wondering how hard is it to
grow honeysuckle. I think I have a dying plant in my front yard and I would
like to replace it with Honeysuckle. I was orginally thinking roses, but I
have been told that they are hard to grow so I changed my mind and thought
about honeysuckle.
Sarah

Note Tom's comments. Just be sure to realize that honeysuckle is a
vine only as far as I'm aware. It's not a bush or shrub.

Untrue. There are many varieties of Lonicera (150+). Some are vines, some
are shrubs. Some species are invasive to the point of being parasitic,
while others are simply nice, fragrant plants.

HTH
--
Eggs

-By the time you can make ends meet, they move the ends.

Old 29-04-2006, 03:28 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mack

wrote:

Hi
I am new, but I live in Northern VA and was wondering how hard is it to
grow honeysuckle. I think I have a dying plant in my front yard and I would
like to replace it with Honeysuckle. I was orginally thinking roses, but I
have been told that they are hard to grow so I changed my mind and thought
about honeysuckle.
Sarah

Note Tom's comments. Just be sure to realize that honeysuckle is a
vine only as far as I'm aware. It's not a bush or shrub.

Untrue. There are many varieties of Lonicera (150+). Some are vines, some
are shrubs. Some species are invasive to the point of being parasitic,
while others are simply nice, fragrant plants.

HTH

Thanks - I learned something. As I said I was only aware of the vines.
I might have to check into the shrub varieties.

Terry
Old 03-05-2006, 03:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Darryl

wrote:
Note Tom's comments. Just be sure to realize that honeysuckle is a
vine only as far as I'm aware. It's not a bush or shrub.

Untrue. There are many varieties of Lonicera (150+). Some are vines, some
are shrubs. Some species are invasive to the point of being parasitic,
while others are simply nice, fragrant plants.

We have several scattered around our new yard, all shrubs. One is 15'
tall & wide.

The stupid berries look so tasty, and 1 or 2 of the OTHER shrubs in my
yard produce edible berries, so I kept confusing which ones I could eat
& which ones I couldn't. We just bought the house last summer. Plus,
I'd think "Well, maybe they just weren't ripe yet last month!".

I'd spend the next 10 minutes walking around the yard spitting & going
"Akkk".

Now I make a special effort to remember which berries are edible.

Old 04-05-2006, 03:22 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Ether Jones

I have about two hundred honeysuckle bushes in my field. Left alone,
they grow in a very helter-skelter fashion; not at all attractive.

After experimenting a bit, I found that I could prune some of the
larger ones to look like small trees and they are quite attractive.
For example, I started with one very large and raggety-looking one and
pruned around the base to get at the trunk. I cut away everything
except three big trunks which were joined together at the base to form
one central trunk about six inches in diameter. Then I pruned all the
lower branches up to about 6 feet above the ground, leaving a large
canopy above that point. The bark of the Honeysuckle is attractive,
when the branches are cleared of spindly old growth. These plants seem
to be very robust and disease-free. The smaller ones are easy to
transplant.