Old 04-05-2006, 08:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Default Best cherries for Western NY?

"Judy Bolton" wrote in message

wrote in message
if you want dwarf cherries, be absolutely sure you buy from a company
knows what they
are doing with dwarfing rootstock. I buy from Bay Laurel out of
California.
http://www.baylaurelnursery.com/index.html
they are no longer shipping right now.
the other place that is good is http://www.raintreenursery.com/
it is best to ASK them which cultivars are appropriate to your area. I
know I have
had VERY good luck with a sweet red bing type cherry in zone 5 of
Milwaukee, similar
to your area. Ingrid

We have been looking at Raintree, and will probably order from them. I
have gotten their catalogue forever, and they have good ratings, and would
like to give them a try. Of course Miller's, which was suggested here
(thanks!) is within driving distance of me, so maybe we'll go and chat
with them.

Miller's is a very interesting place. You'll see.....