Old 04-05-2006, 02:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Judy Bolton

Default Best cherries for Western NY?

Can anyone suggest the best cherries for grow in Western NY? I am
technically in zone 6 (Rochester area), but I don't trust that; I usually
plant for zone 5. The cherries can be sweet or sour (pie) cherries.
Actually, if anyone in this area grows other stone fruit, I'd like to know
what you're growing successfully.

Thanks so much!

Judy

Old 04-05-2006, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Judy Bolton" wrote in message
Can anyone suggest the best cherries for grow in Western NY? I am
technically in zone 6 (Rochester area), but I don't trust that; I usually
plant for zone 5. The cherries can be sweet or sour (pie) cherries.
Actually, if anyone in this area grows other stone fruit, I'd like to know
what you're growing successfully.

Thanks so much!

Judy

I'd consult two sources:

www.millernurseries.com

and

http://counties.cce.cornell.edu/monroe/monroe.html

Besides being appropriate to the climate, you might be able to find a
variety that requires little or no chemical spraying. Our lake has enough
problems, as you know.

Old 04-05-2006, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
simy1

The yellow ones from the Ithaca farmers market are to die for. Clearly,
they grow well there. The red cherries are good but I have had better
ones.

Old 04-05-2006, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

if you want dwarf cherries, be absolutely sure you buy from a company knows what they
are doing with dwarfing rootstock. I buy from Bay Laurel out of California.
http://www.baylaurelnursery.com/index.html
they are no longer shipping right now.
the other place that is good is http://www.raintreenursery.com/
it is best to ASK them which cultivars are appropriate to your area. I know I have
had VERY good luck with a sweet red bing type cherry in zone 5 of Milwaukee, similar
to your area. Ingrid

"Judy Bolton" wrote:

Can anyone suggest the best cherries for grow in Western NY? I am
technically in zone 6 (Rochester area), but I don't trust that; I usually
plant for zone 5. The cherries can be sweet or sour (pie) cherries.
Actually, if anyone in this area grows other stone fruit, I'd like to know
what you're growing successfully.

Thanks so much!

Judy

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 04-05-2006, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Judy Bolton

wrote in message
if you want dwarf cherries, be absolutely sure you buy from a company
knows what they
are doing with dwarfing rootstock. I buy from Bay Laurel out of
California.
http://www.baylaurelnursery.com/index.html
they are no longer shipping right now.
the other place that is good is http://www.raintreenursery.com/
it is best to ASK them which cultivars are appropriate to your area. I
know I have
had VERY good luck with a sweet red bing type cherry in zone 5 of
Milwaukee, similar
to your area. Ingrid

We have been looking at Raintree, and will probably order from them. I have
gotten their catalogue forever, and they have good ratings, and would like
to give them a try. Of course Miller's, which was suggested here (thanks!)
is within driving distance of me, so maybe we'll go and chat with them.

We already have one tree, although we don't know what cultivar it is, other
than it's a sweet cherry. It does well, so it's too bad I don't have its
name.

I appreciate the suggestions. Thanks so much!

Judy

Old 04-05-2006, 08:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
[...]

Miller's is a very interesting place. You'll see.....

Old 04-05-2006, 09:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Judy Bolton

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

We have been looking at Raintree, and will probably order from them. I
have gotten their catalogue forever, and they have good ratings, and
would like to give them a try. Of course Miller's, which was suggested
here (thanks!) is within driving distance of me, so maybe we'll go and
chat with them.

Miller's is a very interesting place. You'll see.....

Oh, no doubt - I will wanrt to leave with everything I am sure. If I really
want to go for broke - literally - I will stop over in Naples and see Rob's
Violet Barn... always dangerous.

We're also getting grapes... and those are coming from Miller's, as they are
a gift from my ILs, and this is where they will purchase them.

Judy

Old 04-05-2006, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Judy Bolton" wrote in message
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

We have been looking at Raintree, and will probably order from them. I
have gotten their catalogue forever, and they have good ratings, and
would like to give them a try. Of course Miller's, which was suggested
here (thanks!) is within driving distance of me, so maybe we'll go and
chat with them.

Miller's is a very interesting place. You'll see.....

Oh, no doubt - I will wanrt to leave with everything I am sure. If I
really want to go for broke - literally - I will stop over in Naples and
see Rob's Violet Barn... always dangerous.

We're also getting grapes... and those are coming from Miller's, as they
are a gift from my ILs, and this is where they will purchase them.

Judy

At Miller's, all the bare-root stuff is kept in a dark dungeon, and you get
to choose your own. I didn't check the trees, but with grapes &
strawberries, everything was visible & healthy looking.

Old 05-05-2006, 01:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

the last time I ordered from Millers they were grafting everything onto "sand cherry"
which was incompatible. Nothing I ordered from Millers is still alive, trees,
grapes, nothing. At year 3 the trees snapped off right at the graft.
Ingrid

"Judy Bolton" wrote:
We have been looking at Raintree, and will probably order from them. I have
gotten their catalogue forever, and they have good ratings, and would like
to give them a try. Of course Miller's, which was suggested here (thanks!)
is within driving distance of me, so maybe we'll go and chat with them.

We already have one tree, although we don't know what cultivar it is, other
than it's a sweet cherry. It does well, so it's too bad I don't have its
name.

I appreciate the suggestions. Thanks so much!

Judy

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
Old 05-05-2006, 01:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

That's weird. Anything else besides trees and grapes?

"Judy Bolton" wrote:
We have been looking at Raintree, and will probably order from them. I
have
gotten their catalogue forever, and they have good ratings, and would like
to give them a try. Of course Miller's, which was suggested here (thanks!)
is within driving distance of me, so maybe we'll go and chat with them.

We already have one tree, although we don't know what cultivar it is,
other
than it's a sweet cherry. It does well, so it's too bad I don't have its
name.

I appreciate the suggestions. Thanks so much!

Judy

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up:
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...s=Group+lookup
www.drsolo.com
I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold
website.
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan