Old 05-05-2006, 12:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Default my paph malipoense is in spike again!

Burr,

Just for fun, I used
http://www.rhs.org.uk/research/regis...chidsearch.asp to find out
the ancestors of your paph and their ancestors ... until I got to the
species makeup.

Based on this, I have found out that your paph is a Maudiae-type hybrid.
These are very common, and considered easy to grow.

The species that make up this hybrid are the following: this hybrid has
mostly paph callosum, some paph lawrencianum, and a smidgeon of paph
barbatum and paph mastersianum. Since paph callosum is probably the largest
percentage of its makeup, I think following it's cultural requirements would
be most useful, and according to orchidspecies.com paph callosum is a "hot
to cool growing, terrestrial or lithophytic orchid," and it "grows with even
water and fertilizer, plus humid, very shady conditions, year round"

paph callosum http://www.orchidspecies.com/paphcallosum.htm

paph lawrenceanum http://www.orchidspecies.com/paphlawrencianum.htm

paph barbatum http://www.orchidspecies.com/paphbarbatum.htm

paph mastersianum http://www.orchidspecies.com/paphmastersianum.htm

You could also look for Paph Maudiae type hybrid culture on the Web to find
out more.

All this aside, I too have a Paph Maudiae type hybrid, actually I have two
(one green and one red). One of them has reflowered for me in Phal-like
growing conditions about a year after initial flowering, but the second one
has not reflowered yet (I've had it for a year and a half -- it is a healthy
plant with several new growths, so I have hope that it will reflower
someday).

Hope this helps,

Joanna

wrote in message
Joanna: My slipper is:
Paph. Laser x Paph. (Clarissa x Red Sky) it blooms a dark reddish
purple flower. Right now there's probably three different new growths
on it, so it's good to hear that something might come out of it after
all. Burr