Old 05-05-2006, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

Default broccoli

The message .com
from "tom&barbara" contains these words:

dirt dibbler wrote:
I'm currently accumulating a mountain of purple sprouting broccoli, any
advice on the best way to freeze it?

Lucky you!

Last year mine grew way too tall and went to flower before I got hardly
anything from it.

The "purple sprouting", is the early stage of the flower before the
petals develop and open. You probably just needed to pick them faster
and earlier. As soon as the plant succeeds in opening its flowers fully
its task is done and the production of more shoots stops. IOW, the
harder you pick the purple shoots, the more the plant will produce, and
that's what creates the longest harvest season.

Janet.