Old 04-05-2006, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dirt dibbler

Default broccoli

I'm currently accumulating a mountain of purple sprouting broccoli, any
advice on the best way to freeze it?

thanks
DD

Old 04-05-2006, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

"dirt dibbler" wrote in message
oups.com...
: I'm currently accumulating a mountain of purple sprouting broccoli, any
: advice on the best way to freeze it?
:
: thanks
: DD

Sorry , no, I've never had enough to freeze. How much did you plant?

Old 05-05-2006, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message .com
from "tom&barbara" contains these words:

dirt dibbler wrote:
I'm currently accumulating a mountain of purple sprouting broccoli, any
advice on the best way to freeze it?

Lucky you!

Last year mine grew way too tall and went to flower before I got hardly
anything from it.

The "purple sprouting", is the early stage of the flower before the
petals develop and open. You probably just needed to pick them faster
and earlier. As soon as the plant succeeds in opening its flowers fully
its task is done and the production of more shoots stops. IOW, the
harder you pick the purple shoots, the more the plant will produce, and
that's what creates the longest harvest season.

Janet.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

Last year mine grew way too tall and went to flower

I thought that the bit of broccoli eaten was the flower?

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 05-05-2006, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dirt dibbler

I grew approx 20 white sprouting & 20 purple sprouting (on the
allotment in Lincolnshire)
It's been slow to get started, but now I'm filling a basket a few times
a week.

Anyone know a quick broccoli soup recipe?

DD

Old 05-05-2006, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

On 4 May 2006 14:10:21 -0700, "dirt dibbler"
wrote:

I'm currently accumulating a mountain of purple sprouting broccoli, any
advice on the best way to freeze it?

thanks
DD

SWMBO just bags it up in meal-sized portions in poly bags with a twist
tie, and freezes it. But when frozen it is brittle, so nothing has to
go on top of it in the freezer otherwise it all breaks up.

Same goes for spring greens.

--
Chris

Old 06-05-2006, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

dirt dibbler wrote:
I grew approx 20 white sprouting & 20 purple sprouting (on the
allotment in Lincolnshire)
It's been slow to get started, but now I'm filling a basket a few times
a week.

Anyone know a quick broccoli soup recipe?

I would imagine that something along the lines of 'boil for a few
minutes in a good fatty stock, blend, add pepper/cheese/cream/bacon
bits/croutons to taste' would work fine. I've never had to make soup.
We've grown three plants for this year and they're doing the two of us
very nicely, now that they've recovered from being completely mauled by
pigeons in December (I was out of the house at work all daylight hours,
so I couldn't see what they were up to until I went out to start
harvesting the Brussels sprouts). The most we've ever grown was five
and that was too many.

I've sown four for this year; three have come up. I'm also trying
'Spike' which is supposed to be ready in the summer/autumn (but is
purple, not a calabrese) – anyone else had a go at this?

Rhiannon
Rhiannon

Broccoli Luke Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Harvesting broccoli seeds. Gregory Toomey Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:32 AM
Broccoli and romaine lettuce: good container plants??? Mick709 Gardening 1 24-03-2003 12:20 PM
purple sprouting broccoli A.Malhotra United Kingdom 3 16-03-2003 05:56 PM
Broccoli flowers Chris Edible Gardening 1 16-02-2003 02:51 AM