Old 05-05-2006, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default It was a lovely day - but...

"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message ews.net
from "Sue" contains these words:

What a wonderful day, the best so far this year - nice and warm with
pleasant breeze.

Not a wonderful day here. We had rain am, turning to monsoon,
followed by a five hour continuous storm of thunder and lightning.
Poor
dog is a nervous wreck. Also it was perishing cold.

We're having Camelot weather atm. Rain at night and then sun during
the daytime, though we had a quick shower at lunchtime yesterday. It
did the same last night and has dawned sunny but with quite a thick
mist, so the whole area looks like a Chinese painting. Long may this
pattern last but being Devon...............!
--

Before the Chinoiserie I had conjured up "The Hounds of the
Baskervilles".

We get the Baskerville days here, too (there's a Baskerville buried in
our churchyard who is cousin to the Baskervilles in Ipplepen from whom
Doyle 'borrowed' the name) but those tend to be in autumn and winter.
The Chinoiserie days are magical. The mist hangs in the lower parts of
the valley and trees and some houses float above it. The sun glints
off it and when, as this morning, it hits the back of the church spire
and the young pink foliage of the copper beech, it's just breathtaking.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Looks like the quest for a home in Devon may be back on the cards then.
Shame the Akebia doesn't flower in Feb :-)