Old 04-05-2006, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Default It was a lovely day - but...

What a wonderful day, the best so far this year - nice and warm with a
pleasant breeze. I was really enjoying myself pottering around the
garden in the sun this afternoon. That is, until some berk down the road
decided to light an *enormous* garden bonfire! The wind gusting about
made sure the whole neighbourhood was smoked out. I do wish people would
be more considerate and wait til later in the evening. :-/

--
Sue

Old 04-05-2006, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

That is, until some berk down the road
decided to light an *enormous* garden bonfire! The wind gusting about
made sure the whole neighbourhood was smoked out. I do wish people would
be more considerate and wait til later in the evening. :-/

when we are having a barbie ;-((

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 04-05-2006, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message ews.net
from "Sue" contains these words:

What a wonderful day, the best so far this year - nice and warm with a
pleasant breeze.

Not a wonderful day here. We had rain am, turning to monsoon,
followed by a five hour continuous storm of thunder and lightning. Poor
dog is a nervous wreck. Also it was perishing cold.

Janet (Arran)
Old 05-05-2006, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message ews.net
from "Sue" contains these words:

What a wonderful day, the best so far this year - nice and warm with a
pleasant breeze.

Not a wonderful day here. We had rain am, turning to monsoon,
followed by a five hour continuous storm of thunder and lightning. Poor
dog is a nervous wreck. Also it was perishing cold.

We're having Camelot weather atm. Rain at night and then sun during
the daytime, though we had a quick shower at lunchtime yesterday. It
did the same last night and has dawned sunny but with quite a thick
mist, so the whole area looks like a Chinese painting. Long may this
pattern last but being Devon...............!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 05-05-2006, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message ews.net
from "Sue" contains these words:

What a wonderful day, the best so far this year - nice and warm with a
pleasant breeze.

Not a wonderful day here. We had rain am, turning to monsoon,
followed by a five hour continuous storm of thunder and lightning. Poor
dog is a nervous wreck. Also it was perishing cold.

We're having Camelot weather atm. Rain at night and then sun during
the daytime, though we had a quick shower at lunchtime yesterday. It
did the same last night and has dawned sunny but with quite a thick
mist, so the whole area looks like a Chinese painting. Long may this
pattern last but being Devon...............!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

Before the Chinoiserie I had conjured up "The Hounds of the Baskervilles".
It looks like we might get one of those syrupy warm days here and there are
signs of people dusting off the rusty barbeques.

Old 05-05-2006, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Before the Chinoiserie I had conjured up "The Hounds of the Baskervilles".
It looks like we might get one of those syrupy warm days here and there

are
signs of people dusting off the rusty barbeques.

Wonderful here :-))

Bright blue sky without a cloud in sight :-))

Summer is here on the Isle of Wight.

Was out and about in the car yesterday, went to Cowes, Newport, Godshill and
it was wonderful and sunny :-))

Not too many grockles about yet :-))

Old 05-05-2006, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...

Janet Baraclough wrote:
[...]

We get the Baskerville days here, too (there's a Baskerville buried in
our churchyard who is cousin to the Baskervilles in Ipplepen from whom
Doyle 'borrowed' the name) but those tend to be in autumn and winter.
The Chinoiserie days are magical. The mist hangs in the lower parts of
the valley and trees and some houses float above it. The sun glints
off it and when, as this morning, it hits the back of the church spire
and the young pink foliage of the copper beech, it's just breathtaking.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 05-05-2006, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...
What a wonderful day, the best so far this year - nice and warm with a
pleasant breeze. I was really enjoying myself pottering around the
garden in the sun this afternoon. That is, until some berk down the road
decided to light an *enormous* garden bonfire! The wind gusting about
made sure the whole neighbourhood was smoked out. I do wish people would
be more considerate and wait til later in the evening. :-/

Thanks for that suggestion, I have a need for an ENORMOUSE bonfire and I was
going to light it during a weekday when, hopefully, there are not many
people about!

But I'll leave it untill an evening now.

Alan

Old 05-05-2006, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Janet Baraclough" wrote
The message ews.net
from "Sue" contains these words:

What a wonderful day, the best so far this year - nice and warm with
a pleasant breeze.

Not a wonderful day here. We had rain am, turning to monsoon,
followed by a five hour continuous storm of thunder and lightning.
Poor dog is a nervous wreck. Also it was perishing cold.

Commiserations.
But just think of all that fresh seaweed which will be washed up.

--
Sue

Old 05-05-2006, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...

Janet Baraclough wrote:
[...]

Looks like the quest for a home in Devon may be back on the cards then.
Shame the Akebia doesn't flower in Feb :-)

Old 05-05-2006, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
Looks like the quest for a home in Devon may be back on the cards then.
Shame the Akebia doesn't flower in Feb :-)

Perhaps the Daphne bholua would be some compensation!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 05-05-2006, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

Sue wrote:
That is, until some berk down the road
decided to light an *enormous* garden bonfire! The wind gusting about
made sure the whole neighbourhood was smoked out. I do wish people would
be more considerate and wait til later in the evening. :-/

--
Sue

I have this problem too Sue and it is really infuriating. We have a
neighbour, who I'm sure has a fire fettish. Every time we get a nice
evening she goes out and lights her dustbin fire. She did this a
couple of days ago and not only was I outside gardening but I also had
a load of whites drying on the line which were well within her view!
How inconsiderate can you get? I also wish she would wait until later
in the evening to light her precious fires. i.e. after dark so that
those of us who like to enjoy beautiful evenings outside are not forced
to retreat indoors.

I don't like to fall out with people as I'm pretty much a peaceful
person, let alone fall out with a neighbour, which is never a good idea
BUT I think I may have to have a word with her next time she does it.
:-/

Gail