Old 05-05-2006, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

Default Continual feeding of garden birds

Sacha wrote:
Given some of the queries raised here recently, I thought the following
might be of interest to urglers:

"Don't stop feeding!
The arrival of spring prompts many people to cease putting out food for

their garden birds. This happens because most people still think that
garden birds only need help during the difficult winter months,
something that we now know is not the case - birds can benefit from the

provision of supplementary food all year round. The BTO is urging
people
to provide food throughout the year and has put together a free
information sheet giving important advice on what to feed. This can be
obtained by writing to GBW FACTSHEET, FREEPOST, Norfolk, IP24 2BR or by

calling 01842-750050.

I'm glad you posted this. I also think it's really important to keep
feeding them throughout the whole year. Infact if anything they
probably need a bit more. The little beggars sit on my fence and stare
at me through the kitchen window, this usually has the desired effect
and has me immediately running into the garage to get some more food!
:-)))) The doves and the robin are the worst culprits for begging in
our garden.

I love to feed through the summer, because as you mention, you get a
far wider variety in the spring and summer and best of all they are a
lot more colourful this time of year too.

regards
Gail