Old 05-05-2006, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Continual feeding of garden birds

Given some of the queries raised here recently, I thought the following
might be of interest to urglers:

"Don't stop feeding!
The arrival of spring prompts many people to cease putting out food for

their garden birds. This happens because most people still think that
garden birds only need help during the difficult winter months,
something that we now know is not the case - birds can benefit from the

provision of supplementary food all year round. The BTO is urging
people
to provide food throughout the year and has put together a free
information sheet giving important advice on what to feed. This can be
obtained by writing to GBW FACTSHEET, FREEPOST, Norfolk, IP24 2BR or by

calling 01842-750050.

'Don't stop feeding!' is the rallying call from Mike Toms, Garden
BirdWatch Organiser for the BTO. Every year 1,000s of people pack their

bird feeders away at the end of the winter in the belief that they have

helped the birds through the most difficult part of the year. However,
many of the birds using our gardens throughout the spring and summer
still find it difficult to locate enough food to meet their needs. In
such circumstances, the year round provision of suitable foods can help

birds to have a successful breeding season.

As well as catering for the needs of their growing chicks, adult birds
have to find enough food for themselves, something that is especially
important for female birds that produce the eggs in the first place.
Most birds breeding in gardens feed their chicks on insects and will
only use the seeds and peanut granules we provide for themselves. This
frees up more of the 'natural' food for their chicks.

As Mike Toms notes: "It is important that you provide the right kinds
of
food during the spring and summer. Avoid foods that are high in salt
and
never put out whole peanuts unless they are behind a wire mesh - in
the
unlikely event that a chick does receive a peanut, it may choke. It is
also important to avoid foods that are dehydrated and which may swell
up
once ingested".

Results from the BTO/CJ Garden BirdWatch show that many finches return
to gardens in spring to top up their reserves immediately prior to the
onset of breeding. The lack of seed and other natural foods at this
time
of year means that food put out at garden feeding stations is
especially
important.

Another benefit of feeding birds throughout the year is that you are
likely to increase the range and number of birds visiting your garden,
something that should increase the amount of enjoyment you get as a
garden birdwatcher.

A free information sheet giving important advice on what to feed can be

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 05-05-2006, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

Sacha wrote:
Given some of the queries raised here recently, I thought the following
might be of interest to urglers:

"Don't stop feeding!
The arrival of spring prompts many people to cease putting out food for

their garden birds. This happens because most people still think that
garden birds only need help during the difficult winter months,
something that we now know is not the case - birds can benefit from the

provision of supplementary food all year round. The BTO is urging
people
to provide food throughout the year and has put together a free
information sheet giving important advice on what to feed. This can be
obtained by writing to GBW FACTSHEET, FREEPOST, Norfolk, IP24 2BR or by

calling 01842-750050.

I'm glad you posted this. I also think it's really important to keep
feeding them throughout the whole year. Infact if anything they
probably need a bit more. The little beggars sit on my fence and stare
at me through the kitchen window, this usually has the desired effect
and has me immediately running into the garage to get some more food!
:-)))) The doves and the robin are the worst culprits for begging in
our garden.

I love to feed through the summer, because as you mention, you get a
far wider variety in the spring and summer and best of all they are a
lot more colourful this time of year too.

regards
Gail