Old 06-05-2006, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314

Default Grafting Workshop near Chicago

Thanks, Sherwin, some more good tips to remember next time I try to graft.

Paul

"sherwindu" wrote in message
One thing you don't mention is a rubber band wrap. Tightly wrapping with
rubber
band squeezes the two pieces together for better contact. Over that, I
usually
use a
product called Para-film. It is a stretchy material, but differs from the
electrical tape
in that it allows air, but not moisture to pass through it. It is sold as
both
a dressing for wounds and a special version for grafting. You should be
sure
the scion wood is
dormant before attaching. Trim all but three of the closest buds above
the
graft.
Trim off any competing leaves, but leave another branch or two untouched
to help

the rootstock to survive in case the graft doesn't take and you want to
re-use
it next
season. You should be seeing an improvement in your success rate if you
follow
the
above steps.

Sherwin D.

Pavel314 wrote:

"John Kring" wrote in message
I've done a lot of successful grafting. What types of grafts are you
doing
and what happens after you do the grafts? Anything?
John

John,

I've tried grafting apple trees and grape vines. After grafting, the
grafts
shrivel up and die. I've paid close attention to getting the cambium in
contact and dressed the joins with grafting wax. I've tried bud grafts,
whip
grafts and cleft grafts, all with the same bad results. I'm obviously
doing
something wrong; what would you say is the most common mistake made by
beginning grafters?

Thanks,

Paul