Old 06-05-2006, 07:39 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Default Started my pond today

Pictures here http://20d.us/PondWebPage/

I bought the liner last fall. This pond replaces a above ground swimming
pool that I have been using for the last few years. The filters are up by
my house. 10 or so. Most visitors consider them to be additional
ponds/creeks/waterfalls. There are also some additional conventional
filters in large poly tanks beside my house. These filters are well
established and been in use for years. The new pond is down hill and holds
the pump. The pump sends the water up the hill to the filters which returns
by gravity to the pond. I gave away my lilies when I removed the swimming
pool. I will probably get more. I have 10 albino channel cats 2 feet long
and assorted Koi and goldfish. All happy in a filter by the house until the
new pond is ready. This pond will be more formal with a knee high wall
surrounding it. You can see the pallets of block sitting in the back of the
last picture. Pat.

Pat, this is way exciting and I too look forward to progressing pictures.

I'd like to mention a couple of things to consider. Bottom Drains & Vortex
Filters for this size pond. My sister finished her ~ 10,000 gallon pond
system last year. Prior to that she had only done water gardens using
in-pond pumps. Upon moving to a warmer climate she started questioning me
about filtration. She did what I suggested, a bottom drain in each pond (3
pond system connected) and vortex filters at the end with out-of-pond pump.
I have been thanked over & over again for my recommendations... even her
husband, an engineer and manager of a electricity producing plant, who
built the pond system, was conferring with me.

So, look into vortex, put money into infra structure and the maintenance
will be minimal (none of us are getting any younger). )

I know if we ever do a re-do or additional, I'll be going w/vortex. ~ jan
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a