Old 06-05-2006, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NikV

Default Moving house - transplanting pear tree

Hi folks

Need to transplant this pear tree - end of june time

http://www.nasuwt.net/~nikvenn/peartree.jpg

there is a ditch behind the tree (covered by decking) the soil is retained
by 30''tall x 24'' wide thick paving slabs so there are no roots behind the
front edge of the decking.

Should I be digging it up now and putting it into a large pot, or should I
wait until the last minute (ish) and wrap the root ball in sacking, should I
prune it before moving to reduce water loss

Any advice please - not attempting to move it is not a option - it has much
sentimental value for my wife so I have to give it a go even if it doesn't
survive

--