Old 06-05-2006, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

Default stumps and hard ground problems

In message , pbuddy06
writes

I recently cut down all trees n bushes at the side of mum and dads
house

How big where the trunks? how long a length we talking

for me to lay turf down, its left big stumps that iv tried rotting but
nothinks happened.

It takes a long time.

Does any one know how to get rid of the stumps plz?

Dig them out 0 unless really big. A grubbing matock is the most useful
tool here, team it with a spade, small stumps will come out just with
the mattockm for bigger oens you might need to dig round them a bit. use
the mattock to dig, round and cut the roots.

Alternatively you can get stump grinders, pull them out with a winch
etc.

Its been about 3 months since i cut the bushes down so the ground has
gone rock hard, whats will be the best way to to lay turf down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/lawns_layingturf.shtml

Basically you will need to dig it over, rake it level and firm it.

--
Chris French