Old 06-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Registered User

Default stumps and hard ground problems

I recently cut down all trees n bushes at the side of mum and dads house for me to lay turf down, its left big stumps that iv tried rotting but nothinks happened.Does any one know how to get rid of the stumps plz?

Its been about 3 months since i cut the bushes down so the ground has gone rock hard, whats will be the best way to to lay turf down. im only 18 so im still living at home so i aint that good at gardening. If any one can help plz do so. tar
Old 06-05-2006, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message , pbuddy06
writes

I recently cut down all trees n bushes at the side of mum and dads
house

How big where the trunks? how long a length we talking

for me to lay turf down, its left big stumps that iv tried rotting but
nothinks happened.

It takes a long time.

Does any one know how to get rid of the stumps plz?

Dig them out 0 unless really big. A grubbing matock is the most useful
tool here, team it with a spade, small stumps will come out just with
the mattockm for bigger oens you might need to dig round them a bit. use
the mattock to dig, round and cut the roots.

Alternatively you can get stump grinders, pull them out with a winch
etc.

Its been about 3 months since i cut the bushes down so the ground has
gone rock hard, whats will be the best way to to lay turf down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/lawns_layingturf.shtml

Basically you will need to dig it over, rake it level and firm it.

--
Chris French

Old 07-05-2006, 06:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , pbuddy06
writes

I recently cut down all trees n bushes at the side of mum and dads
house

How big where the trunks? how long a length we talking

for me to lay turf down, its left big stumps that iv tried rotting but
nothinks happened.

It takes a long time.

yes, I have a big stump from a dead old tree which I have made one compost
heap over. After 3 years the stump is slowly rotting away. I have all the
time in the world. One way to accelerate rotting is to drill roles in the
stump with a hammer drill and the biggest drill bit you can find as far down
as you can go and fill the hole with some form of crystals (there are
special stump rot mixes around, or the crystals used to water pot plants or
even washing soda). These will soak up the water and deliver it into the
holes. The rotting will still take time however.

rob

Old 07-05-2006, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"George.com" wrote in message

[...]

I've had a stump from an apple tree cut down about 10 years ago, which has
refused to rot. I recently had to have a bonfire and I made it over the
stump, much to my surprise, the stump totally disappeared!

Alan

Old 08-05-2006, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk

chris French wrote:
In message , pbuddy06
writes

I recently cut down all trees n bushes at the side of mum and dads
house

How big where the trunks? how long a length we talking

Unfortunately leaving a length on them to use as a lever is one way to
help prize them out of the ground. Too late for that now.

for me to lay turf down, its left big stumps that iv tried rotting but
nothinks happened.

It takes a long time.

My old pear tree root took about 10 years to rot down until it was weak
enough to break out of the ground with normal tools. I tried rotting it
out by adding various stump removers - it grew a handsome crop of fungi
every year but remained stubbornly robust and well rooted over 3 foot
in diameter at ground level. Even after all that time most of the wood
was sound.

A large axe, a spade and a scaffold pole proved invaluable. Smaller
roots will usually yeild to a grubbing mattock. Forks tend to break
rather too easily.

Does any one know how to get rid of the stumps plz?

Dig them out 0 unless really big. A grubbing matock is the most useful
tool here, team it with a spade, small stumps will come out just with
the mattockm for bigger oens you might need to dig round them a bit. use
the mattock to dig, round and cut the roots.

Alternatively you can get stump grinders, pull them out with a winch
etc.

It is a bit easier if you have 3-4 foot of main trunk to lean on as a
lever.

Regards,
Martin Brown