Old 06-05-2006, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default Moving house - transplanting pear tree

NikV wrote:
Need to transplant this pear tree - end of june time

As Ruppert said - pot it and put it in a semi shaded place. However,
I'd dig deep, as deep as I can and as wide as I can so that I maximise
taking as much roots as I can. The tips of the roots atm are the most
vulnerable. Be gentle. The roots have gone right down and side ways.
You might damage the hedge - but it's worth it. Make sure you prepare
your pot well - good drainage, best to put a layer of stone or gravel
and the rest with John Innes 3. Put the root ball on at least 30cm of
compost and add more around your tree. Do not cover the trunk more than
it was originally. Next February prune it. If you want to then
retransplant it permanently do it the following year so as not to
stress it too much in one season. I see that you have it as an espalier
type. Perhaps you could as you pot it, plant a wooden support at the
back, like a triangular trellis. I've done this when I moved a
ceanothus which had grown against a wall. I've repotted it with a
trellis as a support. Good luck.