Old 06-05-2006, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete

Default Growing stuff in containers on top of a wal..suggestions please

Tickettyboo wrote:
At the bottom of our garden, the boundary wall steps down ( its about
4 and a half to 5ft high at this point) On the other side of it is the
ugliest shed in three counties g

I don't want to plant something at ground level that would then grow
high enough to screen the shed, but did think of bunging some
containers on the top of the wall that would maybe have something in
that would grow to about 1 metre high. My ideal would be something
like bamboo or ornamental grass, dont want pretty flowers down that
end of the garden. That side of the garden is shady in the morning
and sunny in the afternoon/early evening ( when its not tiddling down
like it has this afternoon)
Is the idea totally impractical? ( obviously they would have to be
watered and I can manage that part) If not, does anyone have any
suggestions for plants please
Thanks

'lo Boo
I had a similar problem last year, in that I wanted to screen my garden from
my neighbours front door. Wall is approx 5'6" high. I screwed an arch of
trellis to the wall, and fixed two largish planters to it, and bunged in
some ivy. As it grows, thread it in and out of the trellis..........hey
presto, a screen. Being in containers, they will want daily watering in
summer. Can't show a pic, cos I just took them down.........part of a new
project
--
ßôyþëtë