Old 06-05-2006, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tickettyboo

Default Growing stuff in containers on top of a wal..suggestions please

At the bottom of our garden, the boundary wall steps down ( its about 4
and a half to 5ft high at this point) On the other side of it is the
ugliest shed in three counties g

I don't want to plant something at ground level that would then grow high
enough to screen the shed, but did think of bunging some containers on the
top of the wall that would maybe have something in that would grow to
about 1 metre high. My ideal would be something like bamboo or ornamental
grass, dont want pretty flowers down that end of the garden. That side of
the garden is shady in the morning and sunny in the afternoon/early
evening ( when its not tiddling down like it has this afternoon)

Is the idea totally impractical? ( obviously they would have to be watered
and I can manage that part) If not, does anyone have any suggestions for
plants please
Thanks

--
Ticketty᧧

Old 06-05-2006, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete

Tickettyboo wrote:
[...]

'lo Boo
I had a similar problem last year, in that I wanted to screen my garden from
my neighbours front door. Wall is approx 5'6" high. I screwed an arch of
trellis to the wall, and fixed two largish planters to it, and bunged in
some ivy. As it grows, thread it in and out of the trellis..........hey
presto, a screen. Being in containers, they will want daily watering in
summer. Can't show a pic, cos I just took them down.........part of a new
project
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 06-05-2006, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete

Hehe, found this pic for you, HTH
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/trellis/trellis
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 06-05-2006, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tickettyboo

In ,
BoyPete whispered softly in my ear...:
Tickettyboo wrote:
did think of bunging some
containers on the top of the wall that would maybe have something in
that would grow to about 1 metre high.

snip
does anyone have any
suggestions for plants please

'lo Boo
I had a similar problem last year, in that I wanted to screen my
garden from my neighbours front door. Wall is approx 5'6" high. I
screwed an arch of trellis to the wall, and fixed two largish
planters to it, and bunged in some ivy. As it grows, thread it in and
out of the trellis..........hey presto, a screen. Being in
containers, they will want daily watering in summer. Can't show a
pic, cos I just took them down.........part of a new project

Hiya Pete :-) Hmm..not sure about ivy, lol I got rid of a huge lot of it
before we had the garden zapped and am paranoid at checking to make sure
it aint gonna revive from about 3 feet down ( which is where I 'pruned' it
to)
The shed is fairly near that wall and ivy might just leap over. Its a
hideous shed, but it aint mine and I would feel bad if something
encroached on it without permission.

--
Ticketty᧧

Old 06-05-2006, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tickettyboo

In ,
BoyPete whispered softly in my ear...:
Hehe, found this pic for you, HTH
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/trellis/trellis

took a while but I got there, good idea :-) Hope the new project is going
well

--
Ticketty᧧

Old 06-05-2006, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete

Tickettyboo wrote:
[...]

With the roots confined to a planter, they don't go mad, and it's a doddle
to keep in check. Perhaps someone else here will suggest an alternative
plant.
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 06-05-2006, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete

Tickettyboo wrote:
In ,
BoyPete whispered softly in my ear...:
Hehe, found this pic for you, HTH
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/trellis/trellis

took a while but I got there, good idea :-) Hope the new project is
going well

Waiting on B&Q to restock some blocks.............pics to follow in the
other place
--
ßôyþëtë