Old 06-05-2006, 10:44 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Miracle Gro Potting Mix

"JJ" wrote in message ...
Is there any reason not to use Miracle Gro Potting Mix mixed with Clay
Kitty
Litter for potting water plants?
Other than being sort of messy black dirt messing up nice clear water?

===========================
If it contains perlite and or vermiculite it will soon be floating all over
the pond. If the fish eat any of it, they too will be floating all over the
pond..... most likely belly-up. Peat moss, also in most potting mixes can
make a real mess. The safest soil to use would be clay soil from a clean
yard or area that's not sprayed with bug or weedkillers. I had no luck with
kitty litter. It refused to stay in the pots even with gravel over it.

But this is just MY experience. I'm sure others have had other experiences.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.