Old 06-05-2006, 09:41 PM posted to rec.ponds
JJ

Default Miracle Gro Potting Mix

Is there any reason not to use Miracle Gro Potting Mix mixed with Clay Kitty
Litter for potting water plants?
Other than being sort of messy black dirt messing up nice clear water?

JJ

Old 06-05-2006, 10:44 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"JJ" wrote in message ...
Is there any reason not to use Miracle Gro Potting Mix mixed with Clay
Kitty
Litter for potting water plants?
Other than being sort of messy black dirt messing up nice clear water?

===========================
If it contains perlite and or vermiculite it will soon be floating all over
the pond. If the fish eat any of it, they too will be floating all over the
pond..... most likely belly-up. Peat moss, also in most potting mixes can
make a real mess. The safest soil to use would be clay soil from a clean
yard or area that's not sprayed with bug or weedkillers. I had no luck with
kitty litter. It refused to stay in the pots even with gravel over it.

But this is just MY experience. I'm sure others have had other experiences.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:02 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Is there any reason not to use Miracle Gro Potting Mix mixed with Clay Kitty
Litter for potting water plants?
Other than being sort of messy black dirt messing up nice clear water?
JJ

1) The stuff I've seen has fertilizer mixed thru-out, could cause algae
bloom.

2) Potting Mix isn't dirt or soil, it is composted organic stuff (things
that use to be living). Thus a lot of it will float, messing up the
surface. ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 06-05-2006, 11:34 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Koi-Lo" wrote:
"JJ" wrote in message

Is there any reason not to use Miracle Gro Potting Mix mixed with Clay
Kitty Litter for potting water plants?
Other than being sort of messy black dirt messing up nice clear water?

===========================
If it contains perlite and or vermiculite it will soon be floating all
over the pond. If the fish eat any of it, they too will be floating all
over the pond..... most likely belly-up. Peat moss, also in most
potting mixes can make a real mess. The safest soil to use would be clay
soil from a clean yard or area that's not sprayed with bug or
weedkillers. I had no luck with kitty litter. It refused to stay in the
pots even with gravel over it.

But this is just MY experience. I'm sure others have had other
experiences.

I used to use kitty litter (pure Bentonite type). I would pre-soak it in a
bucket, mixed with time-release fertilizer, 'til the pellets had dissolved,
then let it dry out a bit before adding the lilly or lotus bulbs and
putting it in the pond. I covered it with gravel and river stones (kept the
little rascals from rooting in it)!

Old 07-05-2006, 04:08 AM posted to rec.ponds
JJ

Thanks for the observations. Overall doesn't sound like a good idea. Never
thought about the algae bloom.
After making mess with one potted bog plant think I'll abandon the idea for
the rest and go back to kitty litter.

Thanks all for the inputs
Jerry

wrote in message
"Koi-Lo" wrote:
"JJ" wrote in message

[...]

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks ! !

!