Old 06-05-2006, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

Default broccoli

dirt dibbler wrote:
I grew approx 20 white sprouting & 20 purple sprouting (on the
allotment in Lincolnshire)
It's been slow to get started, but now I'm filling a basket a few times
a week.

Anyone know a quick broccoli soup recipe?

I would imagine that something along the lines of 'boil for a few
minutes in a good fatty stock, blend, add pepper/cheese/cream/bacon
bits/croutons to taste' would work fine. I've never had to make soup.
We've grown three plants for this year and they're doing the two of us
very nicely, now that they've recovered from being completely mauled by
pigeons in December (I was out of the house at work all daylight hours,
so I couldn't see what they were up to until I went out to start
harvesting the Brussels sprouts). The most we've ever grown was five
and that was too many.

I've sown four for this year; three have come up. I'm also trying
'Spike' which is supposed to be ready in the summer/autumn (but is
purple, not a calabrese) – anyone else had a go at this?

Rhiannon
Rhiannon