Old 07-05-2006, 03:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Default Training Cattleya leaves?

Joe: Like Diana, I think they are looking for light. If you have the
space, you can let them run wild, a lot of people (me included) think they
look really neat that way, but it does take up a lot of room. If you want
them to grow up rather than out, then yes, stake the new growths while
they're young. Once they harden ...

There is a product called ring-stakes (also sometimes called Catt-rings)
which might help you out with that. Kenni

"jtill" wrote in message
oups.com...
My Cattleyas seem to send out new growth in the horizontal! Can they be
trained to grow near straight up? Do you just tug and tie? I am using
all plastic ties to avoid cutting them with wire (currently on old
leaves to get/keep them straight). Should I just let them run wild? My
plants are on benches under trees in my yard just east of Houston, all
are showing new growth, all are newly in S/H. I won't even mention my
Oncidiums, which are growing in a starburst pattern!