Old 06-05-2006, 07:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Default Training Cattleya leaves?

My Cattleyas seem to send out new growth in the horizontal! Can they be
trained to grow near straight up? Do you just tug and tie? I am using
all plastic ties to avoid cutting them with wire (currently on old
leaves to get/keep them straight). Should I just let them run wild? My
plants are on benches under trees in my yard just east of Houston, all
are showing new growth, all are newly in S/H. I won't even mention my
Oncidiums, which are growing in a starburst pattern!

Old 06-05-2006, 07:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Joe, are the new Catt leads growing in the general direction of the
strongest light source?

As far as the Oncidiums are concerned, they generally grow in *staircase*
fashion. That's one of the reasons many people to prefer to mount them
rather than getting them to sit still in a pot.

Diana

oups.com...

Old 06-05-2006, 11:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

May be, I will turn them on some regular schedule. I have my African V.
pots marked and turn them at every watering, funny how I missed that
with CATTS!
Joe T

Old 07-05-2006, 03:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Joe: Like Diana, I think they are looking for light. If you have the
space, you can let them run wild, a lot of people (me included) think they
look really neat that way, but it does take up a lot of room. If you want
them to grow up rather than out, then yes, stake the new growths while
they're young. Once they harden ...

There is a product called ring-stakes (also sometimes called Catt-rings)
which might help you out with that. Kenni

oups.com...

Old 07-05-2006, 12:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

I don't think rotation is a good choice, Joe. AV's are no problem, but
sympodial orchids grow directionally, so you may end up with a twisted mess.
The real key is overhead lighting.

oups.com...

Old 07-05-2006, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Well, they are all outside and all are putting up new growth. I will
just let it play out this year and see what happens.

Getting the light correct is a real challenge for a beginner. I will
work on that rather than turning them.

I just went to the Houston orchid show and those folk can really get
their plants to grow in attractive ways!

Anyway, thanks for the comments. You all are very helpful.
Joe T
Houston