Old 07-05-2006, 04:08 AM posted to rec.ponds
JJ

Default Miracle Gro Potting Mix

Thanks for the observations. Overall doesn't sound like a good idea. Never
thought about the algae bloom.
After making mess with one potted bog plant think I'll abandon the idea for
the rest and go back to kitty litter.

Thanks all for the inputs
Jerry

wrote in message
"Koi-Lo" wrote:
"JJ" wrote in message

Is there any reason not to use Miracle Gro Potting Mix mixed with Clay
Kitty Litter for potting water plants?
Other than being sort of messy black dirt messing up nice clear water?

===========================
If it contains perlite and or vermiculite it will soon be floating all
over the pond. If the fish eat any of it, they too will be floating all
over the pond..... most likely belly-up. Peat moss, also in most
potting mixes can make a real mess. The safest soil to use would be

clay
soil from a clean yard or area that's not sprayed with bug or
weedkillers. I had no luck with kitty litter. It refused to stay in

the
pots even with gravel over it.

But this is just MY experience. I'm sure others have had other
experiences.

I used to use kitty litter (pure Bentonite type). I would pre-soak it in a
bucket, mixed with time-release fertilizer, 'til the pellets had

dissolved,
then let it dry out a bit before adding the lilly or lotus bulbs and
putting it in the pond. I covered it with gravel and river stones (kept

the
little rascals from rooting in it)!

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks ! !

!