Old 07-05-2006, 02:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

Default shrub rose planting recommendations

"Tiger303" wrote in message

thanks for your help, especially re graft union/fertiliser/hours of sun
recommendations

and yes its defo a queen of denmark, similar i believe to sweden as
both are albas. if interested so a search on david austin's website

--
Tiger303

"Queen of Denmark", as listed on David Austin Rose's
website, is clearly listed as an Alba, which is an old garden
rose. I.e., it was not developed by David Austin,
since it predates his birth by 100 years - 1826.

If you bought a "David Austin Rose" hybridized by
David Austin or his staff, then it would have to be
the 2004 David Austin rose "Queen of Sweden".
Albas, which are old garden roses, and modern shrub
roses, such as those *hybridized* by David Austin,
are NOT the same.

There can be very different cultural requirements for
old garden roses as for modern roses. Also, bloom
cycles can vary quite a bit. Most modern roses bloom
throughout a growing season. In Atlanta, that would be
for most of a year. Many old garden roses bloom
ONCE in the spring, some blooming again, but not as
much, in the fall.

Albas, such as "Queen of Denmark", bloom only once
a year. Modern shrubs, such as "Queen of Sweden",
repeat blooms. See the difference?

The American Rose Society website has an
article on Albas:
http://www.ars.org/About_Roses/ogrs_alba.htm

How a rose blooms, it's cultural requirements (soil,
fertilization, water, amount of sunlight, sensitivity to
sprays used on modern roses, etc), its size, do make
a difference in terms of planting needs, planting
location, owner expectations for blooms, etc.

For example, the David Austin website clearly states
English roses CAN be grown in PARTIAL shade
but still need 3-4 hours of sunlight. "Can be grown
in partial shade" means, generally, such roses *do
better* with at least six hours of sunlight, as I
mentioned previously, but will not suffer unduly
with somewhat less sunlight. I.e., the performance
of your friend's rose, whatever it is, can be very
different depending on how much sunlight it gets.

Since you noted the rose you gave your friend
is *grafted*, it must be the 2004 David Austin rose
"Queen of Sweden". Albas grow on their own
roots. For a grafted rose one has to be concerned
about shoots coming from below the graft. For
an own root rose, ALL SHOOTS are part of
the rose and should not be pruned except as
part of a normal pruning regimen, i.e., to keep
the rose open in the center, etc.

I admit the David Austin website is not very clear
with regard to which roses were hybridized by
David Austin and which are simply roses they
sell, either found or hybridized by others. That's
why I mentioned the site www.helpmefind.com
which is interested in providing information,
rather than in selling anything.

Perhaps you should contact your friend in Atlanta
and ask him to check the metal tag on the rose to
confirm which rose it is. I know you firmly
believe the rose is "Queen of Denmark", but the
facts simply do not add up.

I could be missing something, and if so, I don't
mind admitting I'm wrong. I own a number of
David Austin roses but not "Queen of Sweden".
I own a number of different kinds of old garden
roses, but no Albas. Hence, the information I
have provided above on specific varieties is
almost entirely from research, not from personal
experience.

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA