Old 07-05-2006, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default Moving house - transplanting pear tree

"NikV" wrote in message

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"NikV" wrote in message
Hi folks

Need to transplant this pear tree - end of june time

http://www.nasuwt.net/~nikvenn/peartree.jpg

there is a ditch behind the tree (covered by decking) the soil is
retained by 30''tall x 24'' wide thick paving slabs so there are no
roots behind the front edge of the decking.

Should I be digging it up now and putting it into a large pot, or should
I wait until the last minute (ish) and wrap the root ball in sacking,
should I prune it before moving to reduce water loss

Any advice please - not attempting to move it is not a option - it has
much sentimental value for my wife so I have to give it a go even if it
doesn't survive

--
(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
.·°·. NIK .·°·.

A super plant-I can see why you want to move it (regardless of the
sentimental attachments).
It's not the best time but with care I guess you will stand a very good
chance of moving it.
I would pot it up now and keep the pot in a semi shaded area. It may sulk
and drop leaves but you are unlikely to kill it.
The usual thing about taking the largest rootball possible applies even
more so at this time of year. If you can rig up a polythene tent type
thing over the pot and mist the leaves daily that will help.
I would not prune it at the moment as I think that will cause more
distress than is necessary.

Thank-you for all the advice, unfortunately explaining to 4 & 6 year olds
who expect to take their 'Grandad' with them when they move, that a
substitute will do is not an option so off to get a large pot and some
sprayers - kids will enjoy that bit.

--

4 & 6 year old kids are very gullible and easily coned. Perhaps you might
keep your eyes open for a similar tree in the local Garden Centres:-)
Depending on how the roots have run you may find a rectangular container is
a better fit. If necessary knock one up out of wood (coffin shape) .