Old 07-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Pest Effects Pest Effects is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly1959
Hi, I'm a newcomer to this site and not really a gardener!

My neighbour has allowed her Ivy to overgrow over the fence and up the wall of my house - it is infested with tiny black crawlies - Aphids? Spider mite? my problem is that for the past two weeks, I have not been able to open my windows or patio doors without these crawlies invading the inside of my house!
Ivy has also grown onto my roof - can this cause damage? can it get into my loft? block gutters?

Neighbour does not seem that bothered but I am getting really angy that my patio, window frames and walls are infested with 100's of crawliles. Any advice would be welcomed of how I can get rid of the bugs. Thanks
These will almost certainly be Black bean aphids (Aphis fabae), more commonly known as blackfly. Ivy is a much favoured host for these insects. The Pest of the month article on the Just Green website is on Black Bean aphids http://www.just-green.com/7-eNewslet...M-News0506.asp