Old 07-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Registered User

Default Invasion of pests on Ivy

Hi, I'm a newcomer to this site and not really a gardener!

My neighbour has allowed her Ivy to overgrow over the fence and up the wall of my house - it is infested with tiny black crawlies - Aphids? Spider mite? my problem is that for the past two weeks, I have not been able to open my windows or patio doors without these crawlies invading the inside of my house!
Ivy has also grown onto my roof - can this cause damage? can it get into my loft? block gutters?

Neighbour does not seem that bothered but I am getting really angy that my patio, window frames and walls are infested with 100's of crawliles. Any advice would be welcomed of how I can get rid of the bugs. Thanks
Old 07-05-2006, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

ID and possible solution = http://www.ivy.org/betbg.html

my problem is that for the past two weeks, I have not been
able to open my windows or patio doors without these crawlies invading
the inside of my house!
Ivy has also grown onto my roof - can this cause damage? can it get
into my loft? block gutters?

Yes and Yes
Get up there and prune HARD

Neighbour does not seem that bothered but I am getting really angy that
my patio, window frames and walls are infested with 100's of crawliles.
Any advice would be welcomed of how I can get rid of the bugs. Thanks
Tilly1959

HTH Jenny

Old 07-05-2006, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Tilly1959" wrote
Hi, I'm a newcomer to this site and not really a gardener!

My neighbour has allowed her Ivy to overgrow over the fence and up the
wall of my house - it is infested with tiny black crawlies - Aphids?
Spider mite? my problem is that for the past two weeks, I have not been
able to open my windows or patio doors without these crawlies invading
the inside of my house!
Ivy has also grown onto my roof - can this cause damage? can it get
into my loft? block gutters?

Neighbour does not seem that bothered but I am getting really angy that
my patio, window frames and walls are infested with 100's of crawliles.
Any advice would be welcomed of how I can get rid of the bugs. Thanks

You are entitled to cut off all plant material that overhangs, and grows
into your property, so just cut it off where it comes over the fence and the
bit on your side will die and gradually fall off your house. Pulling it off
can cause some damage to old worn brickwork so let it come off on it's own.
Legally you have to return the cut off bits to the owner but it's politic to
ask if they want it back before disposing of it.
Unfortunately you will have to cut off the ivy on a yearly basis unless your
neighbour gets rid of it.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly1959
Hi, I'm a newcomer to this site and not really a gardener!

My neighbour has allowed her Ivy to overgrow over the fence and up the wall of my house - it is infested with tiny black crawlies - Aphids? Spider mite? my problem is that for the past two weeks, I have not been able to open my windows or patio doors without these crawlies invading the inside of my house!
Ivy has also grown onto my roof - can this cause damage? can it get into my loft? block gutters?

Neighbour does not seem that bothered but I am getting really angy that my patio, window frames and walls are infested with 100's of crawliles. Any advice would be welcomed of how I can get rid of the bugs. Thanks
These will almost certainly be Black bean aphids (Aphis fabae), more commonly known as blackfly. Ivy is a much favoured host for these insects. The Pest of the month article on the Just Green website is on Black Bean aphids http://www.just-green.com/7-eNewslet...M-News0506.asp

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
To ivy or not to ivy, that's the question? TimLondon United Kingdom 15 07-05-2013 06:08 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
poisen ivy--scotts roundup poisen ivy ilaboo Lawns 4 06-06-2008 12:52 AM
Garden Pests - How To Get Rid Of Garden Pests And Keep Your GardenHealthy! fryedaddy Gardening 4 01-02-2008 05:01 AM