Old 07-05-2006, 05:53 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Default Started my pond today

On Sun, 7 May 2006 07:46:17 -0700, "Pat"
wrote:

Sure. Here is a link to one I looked at
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/.../4749/cid/1304
Here is another http://www.pondtechnology.com/pages/vortexfilters.html a
three chambered system for $1500
Barrels are 2 feet poly tanks are 4 feet.

I know I have 22" diameter barrels, and to get the proper vortex (not too
fast) I would have had to use a pump that only went about 500 gph, which
would not have given enough suction to pull much in. You can go to my
website and see what we did do, but it is only on a 1500 & 2000 gallon
pond. With a 10,000, imo, you'd need 4 units and the maintenance on such
becomes a whole different animal at that time, almost every weekend you'd
have to be cleaning one pre-filter. Now if you're coning the bottoms to a
drain, that does make maintenance much, MUCH easier, wish we'd done that...
Still with a vortex, you go out and turn a valve or pull up on a gate
valve, and the muck drains away for several minutes then you're done...
unless you want to rinse down any media within the tank.

I'll let you know when I hear from my sister. I know she really shopped
around for her set up, getting pieces here and there, if I remember
correctly. She uses a 3 barrel unit, and I think they were the medium size
of the vortex. ~ jan
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~