Old 07-05-2006, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Default Invasion of pests on Ivy

"Tilly1959" wrote
Hi, I'm a newcomer to this site and not really a gardener!

My neighbour has allowed her Ivy to overgrow over the fence and up the
wall of my house - it is infested with tiny black crawlies - Aphids?
Spider mite? my problem is that for the past two weeks, I have not been
able to open my windows or patio doors without these crawlies invading
the inside of my house!
Ivy has also grown onto my roof - can this cause damage? can it get
into my loft? block gutters?

Neighbour does not seem that bothered but I am getting really angy that
my patio, window frames and walls are infested with 100's of crawliles.
Any advice would be welcomed of how I can get rid of the bugs. Thanks

You are entitled to cut off all plant material that overhangs, and grows
into your property, so just cut it off where it comes over the fence and the
bit on your side will die and gradually fall off your house. Pulling it off
can cause some damage to old worn brickwork so let it come off on it's own.
Legally you have to return the cut off bits to the owner but it's politic to
ask if they want it back before disposing of it.
Unfortunately you will have to cut off the ivy on a yearly basis unless your
neighbour gets rid of it.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden