Old 08-05-2006, 09:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Gill Passman

Default Mint Containment

Virgil Caine wrote:
I love this mint plant. It has grown like crazy. However, it is very
invasive and is shooting roots into neighboring plants and sprouting
everywhere and all around.
I learnt that it should be contained by planting in space with no-out. I am
thinking of planting it in an old Fish tank and bury the fish tank into the
ground. I inherited this fish tank (1.5 ft deep X 4 ft wide X 2 ft high)
when we
moved into this old house. Has anyone done this? What are the problems if I
do this?

I would never grow mint, lemon balm or anything similar in my beds. I
grow my mint in a wooden tub - it was in with some other herbs as well
but has taken over....so you are right that it needs containing.

Personally, if it doesn't leak I would put fish in the fish tank :-) but
that is another addiction of mine...

Seriously, I would hesitate to bury a glass tank/container in the
garden....it almost certainly would not survive a heavy frost and you'll
end up with glass in the bed...

Gill