Old 08-05-2006, 08:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
Virgil Caine

Default Mint Containment

I love this mint plant. It has grown like crazy. However, it is very
invasive and is shooting roots into neighboring plants and sprouting
everywhere and all around.
I learnt that it should be contained by planting in space with no-out. I am
thinking of planting it in an old Fish tank and bury the fish tank into the
ground. I inherited this fish tank (1.5 ft deep X 4 ft wide X 2 ft high)
when we
moved into this old house. Has anyone done this? What are the problems if I
do this?

Old 08-05-2006, 09:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Gill Passman

Virgil Caine wrote:
I love this mint plant. It has grown like crazy. However, it is very
invasive and is shooting roots into neighboring plants and sprouting
everywhere and all around.
I learnt that it should be contained by planting in space with no-out. I am
thinking of planting it in an old Fish tank and bury the fish tank into the
ground. I inherited this fish tank (1.5 ft deep X 4 ft wide X 2 ft high)
when we
moved into this old house. Has anyone done this? What are the problems if I
do this?

I would never grow mint, lemon balm or anything similar in my beds. I
grow my mint in a wooden tub - it was in with some other herbs as well
but has taken over....so you are right that it needs containing.

Personally, if it doesn't leak I would put fish in the fish tank :-) but
that is another addiction of mine...

Seriously, I would hesitate to bury a glass tank/container in the
garden....it almost certainly would not survive a heavy frost and you'll
end up with glass in the bed...

Gill

Old 08-05-2006, 11:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Virgil Caine" wrote in message
I love this mint plant. It has grown like crazy. However, it is very
invasive and is shooting roots into neighboring plants and sprouting
everywhere and all around.
I learnt that it should be contained by planting in space with no-out. I
am thinking of planting it in an old Fish tank and bury the fish tank into
the ground. I inherited this fish tank (1.5 ft deep X 4 ft wide X 2 ft
high) when we
moved into this old house. Has anyone done this? What are the problems if
I do this?

I think it was garden writer Henry Mitchell who said that if you insisted on
growing mint, it should be done in a concrete cistern, sunken into the
ground. As far as burying a fish tank, please think about this for another 5
years before doing it. Sorry if this seems impolite, but it's an intensely
stupid idea.

Old 08-05-2006, 12:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Elbrecht

"Virgil Caine" wrote:

-snip-
I learnt that it should be contained by planting in space with no-out. I am
thinking of planting it in an old Fish tank and bury the fish tank into the
ground. I inherited this fish tank (1.5 ft deep X 4 ft wide X 2 ft high)
when we
moved into this old house. Has anyone done this? What are the problems if I
do this?

The fish tank has no drainage and it probably won't survive the
weather- even if it does survive lawnmowers and foot traffic.

I plant my mints in areas that have natural boundries. One patch is
in a little chunk of dirt bound by an outbuilding, a driveway, and 2
sidewalks.

My favorite is only bound on one side by a low stone wall-- the other
sides are lawn. I like mowing in the spring when some has escaped
to the lawn. The smell of it going through the mower is a real
pick-me-up.

Jim
Old 08-05-2006, 10:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pennyaline

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Virgil Caine" wrote:

-snip-
[...]

Careful, Jim. Mint will run underground and suddenly appear on the other
side of your driveway, sidewalks and outbuilding.

Old 08-05-2006, 10:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Butzmark

On Mon, 8 May 2006 03:16:07 -0400, "Virgil Caine"
wrote:

I love this mint plant. It has grown like crazy. However, it is very
invasive and is shooting roots into neighboring plants and sprouting
everywhere and all around.
I learnt that it should be contained by planting in space with no-out. I am
thinking of planting it in an old Fish tank and bury the fish tank into the
ground. I inherited this fish tank (1.5 ft deep X 4 ft wide X 2 ft high)
when we
moved into this old house. Has anyone done this? What are the problems if I
do this?

I planted it in a plastic flower pot that I buried in the ground to
just below the rim three years ago and so far it's done fine. It's a
large pot about two feet in diameter and probably as deep. It's one of
the ones that looks like clay. It has a drain hole in the bottom.

Old 08-05-2006, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

wrote:

[...]

It's drilling holes in that pot right now. spooky movie music here, please

Old 09-05-2006, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Elbrecht

Pennyaline wrote:

-snip-
Careful, Jim. Mint will run underground and suddenly appear on the other
side of your driveway, sidewalks and outbuilding.

It hasn't in 20 yrs. Actually it must be fairly weak [it *is* on the
north side of the shed] because I actually have to weed that spot--
Motherwort and Garlic Mustard would take over if I didn't watch it.

OTOH-- I don't care if it jumps the sidewalks or driveway as it would
end up in lawn and I'd get to mow it.g

Jim

Old 18-05-2006, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
Plant Info

You probably don't have to go to that extreme measure to contain the mint.
Usually any physical barrier that's @ 3-4" above and below ground will do
the trick. Don't, however, forget to check on the mint from time to time to
make sure it hasn't crept above or below the barrier.

Suzy, Zone 5, Wisconsin