Old 15-03-2003, 11:08 PM
animaux

Default Question: "egg" on Passion Vine

What's the point of doing that? My passion vines all get eaten by caterpillars and I
just leave them. These plants have been host plants from the beginning of time and
have adapted by having the ability to regenerate foliage rapidly.

Plants are not only for our enjoyment, but for the lifeline to natural life in the
garden.

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 16:41:24 -0600, "Tony" wrote:

I bought 2 passion vines yesterday--one red and one blue. Both of them were
stored in a greenhouse over the winter and are in great shape overall. I'm
excited as this is the first year I've tried these. The ones I've seen
elsewhere have looked incredible.

Question: When I was "unwrapping" the red one from its trellis, I noticed a
number of what I think may be eggs on the plant. These eggs are a bit
smaller than a sesame seed and vary in color from dark brown to light beige.
These seem to be located mostly around flower buds.

What are these? What should I do about them?

I know that these plants are very friendly to butterflies and therefore
caterpillars. I plant to spray them "regularly" with BT to keep them from
being eaten. Are these the eggs of some type of caterpillar?

The blue passion vine had none of these on them.

Tony