Old 15-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Tony

Default Question: "egg" on Passion Vine

I bought 2 passion vines yesterday--one red and one blue. Both of them were
stored in a greenhouse over the winter and are in great shape overall. I'm
excited as this is the first year I've tried these. The ones I've seen
elsewhere have looked incredible.

Question: When I was "unwrapping" the red one from its trellis, I noticed a
number of what I think may be eggs on the plant. These eggs are a bit
smaller than a sesame seed and vary in color from dark brown to light beige.
These seem to be located mostly around flower buds.

What are these? What should I do about them?

I know that these plants are very friendly to butterflies and therefore
caterpillars. I plant to spray them "regularly" with BT to keep them from
being eaten. Are these the eggs of some type of caterpillar?

The blue passion vine had none of these on them.

Tony

Old 15-03-2003, 11:08 PM
animaux

What's the point of doing that? My passion vines all get eaten by caterpillars and I
just leave them. These plants have been host plants from the beginning of time and
have adapted by having the ability to regenerate foliage rapidly.

Plants are not only for our enjoyment, but for the lifeline to natural life in the
garden.

Old 16-03-2003, 12:44 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

animaux wrote:

[...]

http://www.baylink.org/host_nec.html gives a useful listing. Skim
down to the entry for gulf fritillary. Maybe you'll have second thoughts
about picking off the eggs?

Skim to the bottom of the list. I'm not planting paw paw for its
fruit.
Old 16-03-2003, 06:56 AM
Cereoid+10+

There has been much written on the "egg like" extrafloral nectaries that
appear on the leaves of the various Passiflora species. The problem is not
much of it is on the internet.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/BODY_IN175

http://www.esb.utexas.edu/ngerardo/PlantAnt_ref.htm

news:6123D1C07AF954FE.727E2EF3E93E17C7.C758E11228C ...

Old 16-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Iris Cohen

There has been much written on the "egg like" extrafloral nectaries that
appear on the leaves of the various Passiflora species.

Reminds me of the people who ask if the glands on the backs of buttonwood
leaves are a disease. Then there are those who write in asking about those
mysterious little brown balls in their potting soil. Are they eggs of an
insect?. I tell them they are the eggs of the NiPhosPot. (Osmocote)

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 16-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Trish K.

There has been much written on the "egg like" extrafloral nectaries that
appear on the leaves of the various Passiflora species.

Extraflorestrials!
Old 16-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Gloria Lenon

LOL! and I thought that was the fruit of the vine!

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

Old 16-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Cereoid+10+

Isn't refreshing how enlightened your average American is of the ways of
nature and the advances in technology? Don't they teach anything in the
schools anymore? Too bad such basic concepts as the scientific method and
logic are considered taboo by bible thumpers and politicians to be taught in
public schools.

Old 16-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Cereoid+10+

Yeah that's one subject they missed on the X-files.

Mulder?

They did do a show on florescent carnivorous spider mites though!!!