Old 08-05-2006, 02:59 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jim Marrs

Default First Tomatoes

From my exerience, most tomatoes will set fruit up to the high 80s and some
to the low 90's. All of my plants are still setting fruit. The 80's are
better I agree ,but our season is a long way from being over so don't give
up yet. If we have night time temps in the 80s then we are probably having
day time temps in the high 90's on in to the 100 plus range. Then for sure
the tomatoes will stop setting. This current round of thunderstomes and
cooler temperature have cause my plants to explode in growth and blooms.
Good luck with your garden.

Cheers
Jim

"Gae Xavier" wrote in message
Jim Marrs wrote:
Ok,

I just picked my first sweet 100's April 30th. Pretty good for me, but
probably someone else had them earlier. This very warm spring sure did
help this year.

Have Fun

JEM

Yes, I also got a few, but as our night time temps are already reaching
over 70, and most varieties will not set further fruit. Most require 60-70
degs night time drop in temp.

So in essence, our tomato season for most varieties are over this year
already. Anyone who planted a variety like Brandywine can just forget
about it until fall.

Once the night temps reach 80 degs. nothing sets fruit except an
occasional Heatwave or Merced. It appears we will have a 9 month summer of
80+ since February. Pretty freaky weather, doncha think?

I talked with a civil engineer working on Katrina issues and he says the
oceans are so hot, we should be in for a nightmare of a hurricane season.

Regards,

Gae Xavier