Old 02-05-2006, 04:35 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jim Marrs

Default First Tomatoes

Ok,

I just picked my first sweet 100's April 30th. Pretty good for me, but
probably someone else had them earlier. This very warm spring sure did help
this year.

Have Fun

JEM

Old 07-05-2006, 05:34 PM posted to austin.gardening
Gae Xavier

Jim Marrs wrote:
Ok,

I just picked my first sweet 100's April 30th. Pretty good for me, but
probably someone else had them earlier. This very warm spring sure did help
this year.

Have Fun

JEM

Yes, I also got a few, but as our night time temps are already reaching
over 70, and most varieties will not set further fruit. Most require
60-70 degs night time drop in temp.

So in essence, our tomato season for most varieties are over this year
already. Anyone who planted a variety like Brandywine can just forget
about it until fall.

Once the night temps reach 80 degs. nothing sets fruit except an
occasional Heatwave or Merced. It appears we will have a 9 month summer
of 80+ since February. Pretty freaky weather, doncha think?

I talked with a civil engineer working on Katrina issues and he says the
oceans are so hot, we should be in for a nightmare of a hurricane season.

Regards,

Gae Xavier
Old 08-05-2006, 02:59 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jim Marrs

From my exerience, most tomatoes will set fruit up to the high 80s and some
to the low 90's. All of my plants are still setting fruit. The 80's are
better I agree ,but our season is a long way from being over so don't give
up yet. If we have night time temps in the 80s then we are probably having
day time temps in the high 90's on in to the 100 plus range. Then for sure
the tomatoes will stop setting. This current round of thunderstomes and
cooler temperature have cause my plants to explode in growth and blooms.
Good luck with your garden.

Cheers
Jim

Old 09-05-2006, 02:21 PM posted to austin.gardening
Gae Xavier

Yes, Jim, so glad to hear you are having such unusual success. I have
some little nubbins of fruit set a few days ago also. But I would
suggest that any fruit set that is obvious may have happened a few days
ago for you also, and not just recently with day temps of 90+ and night
time temps of over 70-80.

Maybe you should share your heat tolerant varieties here with us, since
most will not set fruit over 80 degrees night temps and yes, we are
having 90 degree days here in Austin. Not yet HIGH '90's, but after all
this is only early May!

There is no way a Brandywine will set fruit in these temps and because
people in the NE rave about Brandywine people try to grow them here.

Regards, Gae

From my exerience, most tomatoes will set fruit up to the high 80s and some

Old 28-05-2006, 12:22 AM posted to austin.gardening
Gae Xavier

Jim was right. Most of the tomatoes are still setting fruit until maybe
after June 1, since we are now at 90+ days every day and 70+ nights
every night.

I think Sunmaster tomato is supposed to set fruit until 85 night temps.
Wow, amazing!! Heatwave is another high night temp wonder.

My Sweet 100's have petered out, but I have some fat full-sized green
tomatoes getting ready to ripen if the Jays don't get them as soon as
they turn pink.

I have seen the Jay's eyeing the goldfish and Koi in the pond. They are
such pests. They will attack and eat anything they can wrap their beak
around.

Gae

Gae Xavier wrote:
Yes, Jim, so glad to hear you are having such unusual success. I have
some little nubbins of fruit set a few days ago also. But I would
suggest that any fruit set that is obvious may have happened a few days
ago for you also, and not just recently with day temps of 90+ and night
time temps of over 70-80.

Maybe you should share your heat tolerant varieties here with us, since
most will not set fruit over 80 degrees night temps and yes, we are
having 90 degree days here in Austin. Not yet HIGH '90's, but after all
this is only early May!

There is no way a Brandywine will set fruit in these temps and because
people in the NE rave about Brandywine people try to grow them here.

Regards, Gae

Jim Marrs wrote:

From my exerience, most tomatoes will set fruit up to the high 80s and
some to the low 90's. All of my plants are still setting fruit. The