Old 08-05-2006, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Munnings

Default Hayter tractor mowers

Thanks for that. I hadn't realised that so few firms actually made
mowers.

Eventually settled for the Hayter on the grounds that our local dealer
was selling it for £1150, considerably cheaper than the RRP, and a
good deal less than the Mountfield. Even if it does prove to be
slightly more expensive for parts, this saving (around £300) should
balance the books.

Incidentally, our ancient Mountfield finally expired because mice had
been nesting in it and chewed all the cables. Cost of sorting this out
plus fitting new starter, we were told, would be several hundred
pounds. Hence the need for a new machine. With all this rain, I think
I'll have to take the strimmer round a good deal of the garden before
mowing as the grass is nearly a foot high in places.