Old 06-05-2006, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Munnings

Default Hayter tractor mowers

Looking to purchase a new sit-on mower, we've come to a choice between
a Hayter 13/30 and a Mountfield 1228, but have been advised that the
Hayter, though cheaper to buy, is more expensive for parts. Any happy
or unhappy Hayter owners out there?

Old 06-05-2006, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Road_Hog®

"Munnings" wrote in message
oups.com...
Looking to purchase a new sit-on mower, we've come to a choice between
a Hayter 13/30 and a Mountfield 1228, but have been advised that the
Hayter, though cheaper to buy, is more expensive for parts. Any happy
or unhappy Hayter owners out there?

The Hayter is a badged Murray which is in turn owned by Briggs & Stratton,
Hayter is owned by Toro. The Mountfield is made by GGP, a machinery
conglomerate, mainly based in mainland Europe.

Neither should be expensive for parts.

Old 08-05-2006, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Munnings

Thanks for that. I hadn't realised that so few firms actually made
mowers.

Eventually settled for the Hayter on the grounds that our local dealer
was selling it for £1150, considerably cheaper than the RRP, and a
good deal less than the Mountfield. Even if it does prove to be
slightly more expensive for parts, this saving (around £300) should
balance the books.

Incidentally, our ancient Mountfield finally expired because mice had
been nesting in it and chewed all the cables. Cost of sorting this out
plus fitting new starter, we were told, would be several hundred
pounds. Hence the need for a new machine. With all this rain, I think
I'll have to take the strimmer round a good deal of the garden before
mowing as the grass is nearly a foot high in places.