Old 08-05-2006, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Plague of wasps?

"Ade" wrote in message
"Trevor" wrote

Anyone else suffering a plague of Queen wasps?
We're getting around 8 per day in the house on average.

I don't know if they're queen wasps, but I've noticed loads of wasps in my
garden and allotment here in Bolton. I thought wasps were a late summer
pest?

Wasps are rightly regarded as beneficial insects both in the
garden, and on the allotment.

quote

" It is often forgotten that wasps are beneficial insects, who eat
harmful insects and their larvae and like bees, pollinate flowers
in their search for nectar."

http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/homepest/Wasp.htm

/quote

quote

Many of the caterpillars and other insects preyed upon by wasps are
garden pests, and in this respect wasps are beneficial in helping to
regulate pest populations and prevent potential damage to garden plants.
Thus, wherever possible, it is sensible to leave wasp nests undisturbed
in order to encourage the natural control of pests, and perhaps reduce
the need for insecticide treatments. This will save money (garden
insecticides are not always cheap to buy), but more importantly it
will help protect wildlife and your garden environment from unnecessary
exposure to pesticide contamination.

http://www.kendall-bioresearch.co.uk/wasp.htm

/quote

HTH