Old 05-05-2006, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trevor

Default Plague of wasps?

Anyone else suffering a plague of Queen wasps?

We're getting around 8 per day in the house on average.

I can guarantee one in the bedroom by around 0600, given the sun hitting the
east facing side of the house.

Trevor
East Yorkshire

ps the only other people I've heard of with the same problem is out
adjoining neighbours, whilst the next neighbours 50m away wonder what I'm on
about.

I'm wondering now if the wood chip paths between my raised beds has anything
to do with it?

Old 05-05-2006, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

"Trevor" wrote in message
Anyone else suffering a plague of Queen wasps?

We're getting around 8 per day in the house on average.

I can guarantee one in the bedroom by around 0600, given the sun hitting

the
east facing side of the house.

Trevor
East Yorkshire

ps the only other people I've heard of with the same problem is out
adjoining neighbours, whilst the next neighbours 50m away wonder what I'm

on
about.

I'm wondering now if the wood chip paths between my raised beds has

anything
to do with it?

You are not alone, this has been the most active 'queen wasp season' I can
remember for ages, and other people have remarked on it, too.

Old 05-05-2006, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trevor

"BAC" wrote in message

"Trevor" wrote in message
Anyone else suffering a plague of Queen wasps?

We're getting around 8 per day in the house on average.

I can guarantee one in the bedroom by around 0600, given the sun hitting

the
east facing side of the house.

Trevor
East Yorkshire

ps the only other people I've heard of with the same problem is out
adjoining neighbours, whilst the next neighbours 50m away wonder what I'm

on
about.

I'm wondering now if the wood chip paths between my raised beds has

anything
to do with it?

You are not alone, this has been the most active 'queen wasp season' I can
remember for ages, and other people have remarked on it, too.

and me missus was relying on the colder winter knocking them on the head!

Old 05-05-2006, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

Trevor wrote:
Anyone else suffering a plague of Queen wasps?

We're getting around 8 per day in the house on average.

I can guarantee one in the bedroom by around 0600, given the sun hitting the
east facing side of the house.

Trevor
East Yorkshire

ps the only other people I've heard of with the same problem is out
adjoining neighbours, whilst the next neighbours 50m away wonder what I'm on
about.

I'm wondering now if the wood chip paths between my raised beds has anything
to do with it?

Check your loft. We had a neighbour with the same problem and they had
a wasp nest in their loft. We also had a wasp nest in the roof at
school, which was discovered when lots of wasps started appearing in
certain teaching rooms. I have also heard of other people having this
problem particularly in the countryside. Might be worth a look.

regards
Gail

Old 05-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Registered User

Indeed, there appears to be huge numbers of queen wasps on the wing at the moment. I don't normally kill wasps as they are a very effective predator of so many insect pests, however, too many successful nests established now will lead to an annoying problem in the late summer when the worker wasps go on the rampage

Old 06-05-2006, 04:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trevor

"tom&barbara" wrote in message
oups.com...

Trevor wrote:
[...]

Too early for nests. These are queens looking for a nest site.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Registered User

I saw a wasp yesterday, it must be because of the climate. It flew away after a while.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Pain_Ist_Misery wrote:
I saw a wasp yesterday, it must be because of the climate. It flew away
after a while.

Lots around here in North Staffordshire too, hope they don't all make
nests nearby.

--
Please do not reply to this Email address,
as all Emails are deleted before opened.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ade

"Trevor" wrote

Anyone else suffering a plague of Queen wasps?
We're getting around 8 per day in the house on average.

I don't know if they're queen wasps, but I've noticed loads of wasps in my
garden and allotment here in Bolton. I thought wasps were a late summer
pest?

Old 08-05-2006, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Ade" wrote in message
"Trevor" wrote

Anyone else suffering a plague of Queen wasps?
We're getting around 8 per day in the house on average.

I don't know if they're queen wasps, but I've noticed loads of wasps in my
garden and allotment here in Bolton. I thought wasps were a late summer
pest?

Wasps are rightly regarded as beneficial insects both in the
garden, and on the allotment.

quote

" It is often forgotten that wasps are beneficial insects, who eat
harmful insects and their larvae and like bees, pollinate flowers
in their search for nectar."

http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/homepest/Wasp.htm

/quote

quote

Many of the caterpillars and other insects preyed upon by wasps are
garden pests, and in this respect wasps are beneficial in helping to
regulate pest populations and prevent potential damage to garden plants.
Thus, wherever possible, it is sensible to leave wasp nests undisturbed
in order to encourage the natural control of pests, and perhaps reduce
the need for insecticide treatments. This will save money (garden
insecticides are not always cheap to buy), but more importantly it
will help protect wildlife and your garden environment from unnecessary
exposure to pesticide contamination.

http://www.kendall-bioresearch.co.uk/wasp.htm

/quote

HTH

michael adams

Old 14-05-2006, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trevor

However they do make sitting outside and eating impossible here in September
(I've noticed France/Dordogne is even worse)

Old 14-05-2006, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Trevor" wrote in message

However they do make sitting outside and eating impossible here
in September (I've noticed France/Dordogne is even worse)

If you provide whatever it is they're attracted to, sweet
fragrant things or whatever it is, in greater abundance
somewhere else, then they'll be attracted there instead.

They need a positive incentive to move somewhere else.
That's the theory anyway.

michael adams

WAsps, wasps and more wasps Broadback United Kingdom 69 09-08-2004 09:57 AM
squash leaves with the plague ? Kathy Edible Gardening 5 12-08-2003 12:02 PM
Tiny Weevils - I think there's a plague of them eating my garden - please help Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 1 03-07-2003 11:44 PM
unknown plague Dgaim Roses 3 30-05-2003 05:56 PM
woolly aphids plague on native plants Greg Wake Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:34 AM