Old 08-05-2006, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Default Asparagus

For reasons I won't go into, I thought my asparagus - planted just
under 18 months ago after by-the-book preparation work, and which
should therefore now be starting their second season in the garden -
had gone to meet their maker.
So imagine my delight when I saw a few spears peeking through from 3
out of the 4 crowns I planted!
I expect I should be able to harvest a small few spears this year - but
will be very gentle. However, I am just wondering how much, in coming
years, I can expect to get out of my three plants? How many (roughly)
harvestable spears can I get per plant? And in a normal year, what
proportion of harvest to keep spears would experts here recommend?

Thanks again!

Cat(h)