Old 08-05-2006, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Default Asparagus

For reasons I won't go into, I thought my asparagus - planted just
under 18 months ago after by-the-book preparation work, and which
should therefore now be starting their second season in the garden -
had gone to meet their maker.
So imagine my delight when I saw a few spears peeking through from 3
out of the 4 crowns I planted!
I expect I should be able to harvest a small few spears this year - but
will be very gentle. However, I am just wondering how much, in coming
years, I can expect to get out of my three plants? How many (roughly)
harvestable spears can I get per plant? And in a normal year, what
proportion of harvest to keep spears would experts here recommend?

Thanks again!

Cat(h)

Old 08-05-2006, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cat(h) wrote:
For reasons I won't go into, I thought my asparagus - planted just
under 18 months ago after by-the-book preparation work, and which
should therefore now be starting their second season in the garden -
had gone to meet their maker.
So imagine my delight when I saw a few spears peeking through from 3
out of the 4 crowns I planted!

I can't answer your questions Cat(h) but I've had the same experience
this year. I planted some 3 years ago and had forgotten about this
'failure' but then finally I noticed a spear the other day, and today I
see there's another. My only worries are a) that I recently dowsed that
area with chemicals to try to get rid of all the weeds. Very unusual
for us organic types but we didn't think there was anything edible
there. So will be a bit worried about eating any. 2) The aforementioned
weeds have really taken hold round that area of the garden which no
doubt will affect the yield. I may have to forget this year and look
forward to next.

Will