Old 08-05-2006, 03:37 PM posted to rec.ponds
Hal

Default Snail eradication?

How would I go about eradicating the snails in my pond?

The targeted snails are egg layers, but I don't know how long it takes
the eggs to hatch. this variety reaches almost 1/2" diameter and a
bit longer when measured from the spiral, or longer side. They are
mostly black in color and seem to eat everything, but like plants.

I also wish to reduce the numbers of goldfish and plan to drain the
1500 gallon pond and a little planning now seems like a good idea.

DNR recommends using a pressure washer on boats and allow them to dry
for 5 days, to keep from transferring snails from one body of water to
another.

I read another person used bleach and scrubbed the tank to eradicate
snails. I have a gas mask and hip boots, but don't look forward to
this as my first choice, although it sounds like it might be a good
one.

I haven't been able to find useful information about copper and
aluminum, except some general comments. I need more specific data to
use these agents.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hal