Old 08-05-2006, 03:37 PM posted to rec.ponds
Hal

Default Snail eradication?

How would I go about eradicating the snails in my pond?

The targeted snails are egg layers, but I don't know how long it takes
the eggs to hatch. this variety reaches almost 1/2" diameter and a
bit longer when measured from the spiral, or longer side. They are
mostly black in color and seem to eat everything, but like plants.

I also wish to reduce the numbers of goldfish and plan to drain the
1500 gallon pond and a little planning now seems like a good idea.

DNR recommends using a pressure washer on boats and allow them to dry
for 5 days, to keep from transferring snails from one body of water to
another.

I read another person used bleach and scrubbed the tank to eradicate
snails. I have a gas mask and hip boots, but don't look forward to
this as my first choice, although it sounds like it might be a good
one.

I haven't been able to find useful information about copper and
aluminum, except some general comments. I need more specific data to
use these agents.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hal
Old 08-05-2006, 04:32 PM posted to rec.ponds
Overis

Hal wrote:
[...]

You get Carol to bathe in it.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:48 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Mon, 08 May 2006 10:37:52 -0400, Hal wrote:

How would I go about eradicating the snails in my pond?

Non-chemical, a couple of koi, course they won't get them in the filter.
I've never heard of snails eating live plants, except the Apple Snail,
which gets humongous.

Or.... wait till water gets tropically warm, and get a few clown fish or
loaches, supposedly they're deadly on snails. You'll have to remove these
fish though before cold weather.

Now if you want to go to the point of sterilizing and having to go thru the
whole pond start-up again, yes, you can run bleach. I'm not sure what the
ratio would be to do the job ... but this wouldn't necessarily be good for
your plants, and that's where all the eggs usually are. Potassium
Permanganate will usually do in snails, but doesn't always get the eggs.
~ jan

--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 09-05-2006, 02:15 AM posted to rec.ponds

Hal wrote:
How would I go about eradicating the snails in my pond?

Why? What's the issue with the snails?

Patrick

Old 09-05-2006, 04:43 AM posted to rec.ponds

copper sulfate (coppersafe) really works against snails. in higher pH water is
reasonably safe even for fish. if you move the fish out then use a double strength
copper sulfate. I tried everything and only copper worked really well and fast.
Ingrid

Hal wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Old 09-05-2006, 02:58 PM posted to rec.ponds
Hal

Thanks, I didn't realize there was a safe dose of copper for fish, but
that will work for me. I don't want to drain the pond completely if
I don't have to.

I did run across an article about using copper for algae control and
it states copper should not be used if the KH is below 50ppm as fish
kill can result. I use limestone to keep the KH up and it often
reads 1 degree although the pH stays at or above 7.8 most of the time.
Sound reasonable that I could throw in some baking soda while I'm
treating with copper??

Regards,

Hal

Old 09-05-2006, 02:58 PM posted to rec.ponds
Hal

On Mon, 08 May 2006 16:48:34 -0700, ~ janj
wrote:

Non-chemical, a couple of koi, course they won't get them in the filter.
I've never heard of snails eating live plants, except the Apple Snail,
which gets humongous.

You may be right, the thought of snails not eating plants never
occurred to me, but I can't believe they add anything to the pond
except a snack for koi and the occasional parasite. I think I would
like to remove them completely, and I don't think fish will be able to
do that. I realize they may be transported in again, but I'd like to
start over.

Regards,

Hal
Old 09-05-2006, 03:22 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Hal" wrote in message
You may be right, the thought of snails not eating plants never
occurred to me, but I can't believe they add anything to the pond
except a snack for koi and the occasional parasite. I think I would
like to remove them completely, and I don't think fish will be able to
do that. I realize they may be transported in again, but I'd like to
start over.

====================
If still in doubt you can call your local Dept. of Agriculture and see what
they recommend. They would also know what parasites, if any, the snails in
your area may carry. They would be most familiar with the conditions where
you live.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:16 PM posted to rec.ponds
ranchu

================================
Hal,

Instead of using chemicals in the pond why don't you just crush them.
Every day go out and crush a number on the side of the pond and the
fish will eat the remains. After the fish get a taste for the snails
they will eat the hatchlings right after they hatch because their
shells are not hard right after hatching. You will still have the
larger snails and if they bother your plants, etc. just keep crushing
them when you see them. If they are not bothering your plants they
will just get big and producing egg masses which the fish will eat as
they hatch.

Tom L.L.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:59 PM posted to rec.ponds

so is schistosomiasis. our ponds are not natural and for some of us our fish are
pets we dont want to die from diseases. Ingrid

wrote:
They're part of every natural pond or lake that I've ever seen so they
must have a function/benefit.

Patrick

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Eradication of Ivy Jo[_5_] United Kingdom 6 19-04-2011 12:17 PM
Tree eradication elalamein Gardening 21 09-01-2008 07:34 AM
Slug / Snail eradication suggestions? Carl Beyer Ponds 9 07-07-2005 04:13 PM
Bindi eradication/control supajosh Australia 9 29-06-2005 10:01 AM