Old 08-05-2006, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

Default Composting rhubarb leaves

The message .com
from "Cat(h)" contains these words:

Well, now that, thanks to the good advice of URG denizens, I have
started to harvest my rhubarb (6 pots of jam made this w/e), what can I
do with the leaves?
I gather they are toxic (oxalic acid, if memory serves)

But only if you eat them.

and therefore I
wonder should I keep them out of the compost heap?
If so, what can I do with them? They are currently wilting away near
the plants themselves.

Just compost them. Food crops that grew in composted rhubarb leaves
don't contain its oxalic acid; just as peaches from a tree planted on
dear old Rover's grave, don't harbour fleas, and taste of peach, not
dead dog.

Janet