Old 08-05-2006, 10:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pennyaline

Default Mint Containment

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Virgil Caine" wrote:

-snip-
I learnt that it should be contained by planting in space with no-out. I am
thinking of planting it in an old Fish tank and bury the fish tank into the
ground. I inherited this fish tank (1.5 ft deep X 4 ft wide X 2 ft high)
when we
moved into this old house. Has anyone done this? What are the problems if I
do this?

The fish tank has no drainage and it probably won't survive the
weather- even if it does survive lawnmowers and foot traffic.

I plant my mints in areas that have natural boundries. One patch is
in a little chunk of dirt bound by an outbuilding, a driveway, and 2
sidewalks.

My favorite is only bound on one side by a low stone wall-- the other
sides are lawn. I like mowing in the spring when some has escaped
to the lawn. The smell of it going through the mower is a real
pick-me-up.

Careful, Jim. Mint will run underground and suddenly appear on the other
side of your driveway, sidewalks and outbuilding.