Old 09-05-2006, 12:48 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Default Snail eradication?

On Mon, 08 May 2006 10:37:52 -0400, Hal wrote:

How would I go about eradicating the snails in my pond?

Non-chemical, a couple of koi, course they won't get them in the filter.
I've never heard of snails eating live plants, except the Apple Snail,
which gets humongous.

Or.... wait till water gets tropically warm, and get a few clown fish or
loaches, supposedly they're deadly on snails. You'll have to remove these
fish though before cold weather.

Now if you want to go to the point of sterilizing and having to go thru the
whole pond start-up again, yes, you can run bleach. I'm not sure what the
ratio would be to do the job ... but this wouldn't necessarily be good for
your plants, and that's where all the eggs usually are. Potassium
Permanganate will usually do in snails, but doesn't always get the eggs.
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~