Old 09-05-2006, 12:39 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

Default Using a reel mower

"George.com" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
I had my first trial today using a reconditioned reel mower I
recently purchased. I am interested in any tips experienced reel
mower user have for a good cut.

My first attempt was mixed. It took a little while to find a good

cutting
height (some areas of the lawn got scalped) and I noted one end of
the blade didn't cut well (blades are sharp however) as it had some
stone damage at some point.

My lawn is also a little undulating so it skipped across several
points and bent the grass flat rather than taking a uniform slice
off. The

grass
was also damp which may have affected it.

The cut grass, especially clover, however I noticed was more finely
sliced than using a rotary.

ANything I should be doing/not doing?

rob

What type of grass are you cutting with your reel mower? Those are
great for level bent.

fescue n rye turf mix

rob

That can be cut with a rotary mower, no?

Why do you want to cut it with a reel?